Hi everyone =]
This post, as the title has said, is about my new job and about driving.
Ok, the driving part first. I'm taking driving lessons, and oh gosh, I think it's tough. There are so many things to remember, different kinds of roads require different kind of speeds. Every now and then there are traffic lights, or stop signs. When facing stop signs, we need to know how many of them are there, two or four, and on what sides of the crossroads are the stop signs available,... But the hardest of them all is driving on a FREEWAY. That's the kind of 8 lanes or so super speed highway, where you have to drive at 65 miles/hour. I'm talking about MILES per hour here. That means on a freeway, the speed is at 105 km/h. Just one wrong move and you are DEAD, or your neck broken, or your body parts fall over the place: ears there, eyeballs rolling happily along the freeway, legs here, arms somewhere else... Ok, that's so drama queen, but yah, it's scary to drive on a freeway, esp. for someone who is usually sleepy like me. I can't recall if there's freeway in Singapore but I think the traffic in Singapore is not as complicated as where I'm staying. But I know for a fact that Thailand also has the freeway system, even two-storey freeway.
Driving a car is like playing Need for speed, only that you can die, like really die. GAME OVER, for eternity.
HAHA.
Well, a driving license is necessary in order to get a job here, so I really need to get a driver license soon.
------------
Now about the job part.
Say hello to the CASHIER =]
I'm working at this place http://www.leessandwiches.com/
It's a really fun job. Well, my job is not just accepting money. There are a lot more, a little bit of food prep and display, greeting customers, getting the food or pickup, labelling the food,...
It's really really really fun. Everytime I go into a deli or a restaurant or a food place, I think ok, I order, the cashier press the screen or the cash register, accept my money, and that's it.
But the reality is really different. LoL. There are a million things on that screen, and it's quite hard to know which one to press and what item is on which menu. It's tougher for me because I DON'T EAT SANDWICHES. So there are a lot to learn about names, and names of veggies. I never eat vegetables in my entire life, except maybe 6 different kinds, including corn, coleslaw (that's still veggies right), some veggie my mom cooks that I really like but don't know the name for 18 years, but that's it...
Is potato a veggie?
And yah, I have a lot of Vietnamese food to learn about, since I don't really eat a lot of stuff made from flour. There are a lot of delicious-looking, colourful pastries and cakes but I don't know the names. A lot to learn about my own tradition actually =p Then comes "CHE", which is translated as TAPIOCA. Gosh, the Vietnamese people LOVE that item and they eat that a lot. But again, since I don't eat that, I had to struggle to figure out what the customers were ordering. I looked at them like they were speaking alien language and they looked at me like I was an alien. My co-workers were laughing when I tell them I don't eat "che". HAHA.
Over all, it's a really fun experience. I work only two days a week, I wish I can work more than that. The customers are cool. Some of them look a bit under the weather, some of them are very polite and nice, but it's nice to serve all of them. I realise that I'm actually suitable for customer service.
And you know what. There were no male cashiers at this place before. I don't know whether I should be happy or sad about this =p Maybe half half. lol
I was trained by two nicest co-workers on earth. One of them has worked for for years, she taught me how to set up and stuff. She's really fun. The other one is also nice, she helped me to practice pressing the screen and experimenting with different kinds of orders, and scooping the correct ingredients for "che" (tapioca).
Handling money is kinda fun. But it needs extreme attention.
anyway, that's all =]
love,
Don =]
P.S. oh yah, I wear an apron.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
job and drive
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment